What is a photograph? Sounds innocuous but try answering. What really is a photograph? A memory, a celebration? To me, it is a worthy moment captured for all eternity (or at least, till the copy survives). Come to think of it, is it not so? A moment, be it beautiful, tragic, pregnant, poignant, awe inspiring, in all its glory and disgust, all coming together in a single frame.
Some of these frames have gone on to create history and rattle up the world. While some brought hope, others raised awareness and made the world stand up and take notice. We here take a look at some of the most iconic photographs of all time:
- A napalm scarred girl runs from her burning village in Vietnam
- Jesse Owens single handedly destroys Hitler’s “Aryan Supremacy” notion
- A lone protester takes a stand against the might of Chinese Army
- A Father holds a wounded government rifleman
- The first gay couple gets married in Manhattan
- The photograph that rattled the world about Sudan famine
- Helen Keller “sees” President Eisenhower
- Man falls from the burning World Trade Center
- The brutality of the Ugandan famine gets immortalized
- Mars Rover shows how dusk looks like at Mars
- An Afghan man offers tea to an American soldier
- The desperate scratches as life was sucked out in the infamous “gas chambers”
Being termed “iconic” is very subjective. What stands out for one might not stand out for another man. But each of these photographs, and by that extension photography, shows what all man is capable of.
We at CoHo also use photographs to a huge extent to show our customers on what we are providing. You can see what CoHo is all about sitting anywhere and a book a space for yourself anywhere, anytime with our 360 degree photographs as well.